Sunday, August 24, 2008

Breaking ground

5-20-07

I had to move all the stuff that had accumulated behind the garage, and move my lattice wall that separated the walkway behind the garage from the back lawn, to a new area. I built a little shed to house the stuff, and everything in the garage as well. I spend about a month doing prep work before the forms were placed for the concrete pad. We also added a pad to the front of the house for a porch and a portion of the driveway will have a roof over it as well.

The ground in my neighborhood is a giant block of decomposed granite. The Tujunga river didn't wash it away over millions of years, so I feel secure in the fact that we are not going anywhere in a big earthquake. It's great for foundations, but sucks to dig through. It took a week to dig the outer trenches with a pneumatic shovel. I can only imagine how hard it was in the 50's to dig the pool.

No comments: